What is Dementia?
Dementia includes a group of symptoms which develop as a result of a variety of brain diseases. The most common types of dementia are Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia. In 2015 there were around 850,000 people with dementia in the UK.
How can it affect someone?
Dementia mostly affects people over 65. However, there are more than 40,000 younger people in the UK with dementia. Dementia is progressive, meaning that symptoms get worse over time. Symptoms include:
- Problems with memory loss – especially recalling things that happened recently
- Difficulty with thinking – including concentrating, following steps, grasping new ideas or solving problems
- Difficulties in communicating – including finding the right word or following a conversation
- Sight problems – including judging distances and interpreting patterns or reflections
- Changes in mood or difficulties controlling emotions – including losing interest and becoming withdrawn, or becoming unusually sad, frightened or angry
What does Revitalise offer?
Every year we provide a number of weeks specifically for people with dementia. The aim of these breaks is simple: to create a supportive but stimulating environment where carers and their loved ones can rediscover a loving connection as husband and wife, father and daughter, mother and son.
Our centres are purpose-built and fully-accessible and every aspect of your holiday is tailored to your loved one’s needs. The relaxed settings and newly-refurbished rooms provide the perfect place to get away from it all, but it is our friendly and expert staff and nurses that set our holidays apart: at Revitalise, you can rest assured that your loved one will be in safe hands.
Our breaks go far beyond traditional respite, but amidst all the fun, we are committed to providing the best standards of care available. Our trained care staff are on hand at all times to support you, giving you the space to reconnect.
If you have any queries about the care we provide, please call 0303 303 0145 or send us an email. You are also welcome to see what we do for yourself before booking your break, so please get in touch if you would like to arrange a visit to one of our centres.