What is Parkinsons?
Parkinson’s is a complex condition that affects people in a variety of ways.
How can it affect someone?
The symptoms most often associated with Parkinson’s affect movement. These are often called motor symptoms. However, there are other symptoms that aren’t related to movement, such as pain and depression. These are known as non-motor symptoms.
Main symptoms of Parkinson’s:
- Tremors (shaking) – involuntary shaking movements in a part of the body, such as the hands
- Slowness of movement – walking with short, shuffling steps or finding it takes longer to do things
- Rigidity (stiffness) – stiff and inflexible muscles, pain and muscle cramps and sometimes a fixed facial expression
- Problems with seeing, or involuntary blinking
- Falls and dizziness
- Fatigue, pain, restless legs syndrome and sleep problems
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Freezing – where a person suddenly stops while walking or doing repetitive tasks such as brushing teeth
- Skin and sweating problems
- Speech, communication and swallowing problems
What does Revitalise offer?
Drawing on over fifty years’ experience, we offer holidays for people with over 150 different disabilities, including Parkinson’s. Our centres are purpose-built and fully-accessible and every aspect of your holiday is tailored to your needs. The relaxed settings and newly-refurbished rooms provide the perfect place to get away from it all, but it is our friendly and expert staff and nurses that set our holidays apart: at Revitalise, you can rest assured that you will be in safe hands.
Our breaks go far beyond traditional respite, but amidst all the fun, we are committed to providing the best standards of care available. Our trained care staff are on hand at all times to support you, giving you the space to enjoy a real holiday.
If you have any queries about the care we provide, please call our friendly bookings team on 0303 303 0145 or send us an email. You are also welcome to see what we do for yourself before booking your break, so please get in touch if you would like to arrange a visit to one of our centres.